Whitespace Deep Sinking Logo Deep Sinking
The Quicksand Channel

Home Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister 
  View Profile Public Profile     Edit Profile Edit Profile     Log inLog in 

Some trouble with Deepsinking .org

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show -> Some trouble with Deepsinking .org Subscribe Topic RSS View New Favorites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathew
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Some trouble with De Zoom Reply with quote

I am having some trouble with this site and I want you all to know. The trouble is this sometimes I log on and I cannot get in. Yes, I have my cookies enabled. Yes, I have my browser security set to medium. But still I sign in and I can read your posts but I cannot see any attachments/pictures or reply to any messages. Other times I can get in just fine. It is driving me nuts. What gives?!? Would somebody please be so kind as to explain it to me. What if anything I am doing wrong.
Jiminy Thicket
Inventor
Victim
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

Do you mean like, you sign in, only all of a sudden you aren't signed in? (You can tell based on whether your name is in the upper right.)

I had something very similar happen to me on another site running this same software. I don't remember the exact cause, but if that sounds like what's happening to you I'll try to backtrack and see if I can recall what it was.

I do know that if the clock on your computer is wrong (for example if it's off by "AM instead of PM," or set exactly a day ahead/back), that can goof it up.
Fred588
High Master Craftsman V
High Master Researcher V
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: similar problem Zoom Reply with quote

From home and from Studio588, logging in to deepsinking.net works just fine, but from those two locations my log in is automatic. From my office, however, I manually log in as a safety precaution. On most, if not all occasions when I do that, the log in appears to fail on the first attempt. My log in name does not appear. It usually succeeds on the second attempt. Also, perhaps 3/4 of the time, when I have logged in, the messages are in the proper order and I can see attachments ok, but the icon that is supposed to mark unread messages does not appear. On other occasions it does.
Muddy Eddie
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

I had noticed the same problems as you have, Fred. But it hasn't happened to me on the 2.0.11 version of phpbb. On a site that I moderate we had frequent problems with 2.0.9, but the login problem hasn't been a problem with 2.0.11.

Perhaps the thing to do, for those that are having login problems, is to flush your cache before logging in. That usually helps on other sites, and might work here.

(Sorry for the off-topic drift!)
Jiminy Thicket
Inventor
Victim
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: similar problem Zoom Reply with quote

Fred588 wrote:
On most, if not all occasions when I do that, the log in appears to fail on the first attempt. My log in name does not appear. It usually succeeds on the second attempt.

That sounds like a problem accepting cookies. phpBB tries to use a big ugly thing in the url ("sid=alongstringofhexadecimalcrap") to compensate for lack of cookies, but I've noticed it frequently screws up.

Keep an eye out for that, and see if the long sid= thing disappears at the same time you are suddenly not logged in. That is, you're logged in, you see it. You click something, get a new page, you're not logged in, and you don't see it.

Also, I'm suspecting that if you access the site as "deepsinking.org" instead of "www.deepsinking.org" it may cause weird problems of this nature.

See if those might be related and then we'll go from there.

Quote:
Also, perhaps 3/4 of the time, when I have logged in, the messages are in the proper order and I can see attachments ok, but the icon that is supposed to mark unread messages does not appear. On other occasions it does.

That sounds like a bit of a different problem. Let's work on the other one first and see how that goes.
Darkraptor1
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

I've had a few moments where I tried to log in, but it failed. The second time always worked though. I always remove cookies using anit-spam stuff.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: