Whitespace Deep Sinking Logo Deep Sinking
The Quicksand Channel

Home Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister 
  View Profile Public Profile     Edit Profile Edit Profile     Log inLog in 

question about DivX 5.2.1 codec

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show -> question about DivX 5.2.1 codec Subscribe Topic RSS View New Favorites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neveragain
Superior Master Artifex IV
Fatalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: question about DivX Zoom Reply with quote

I'm currently downloading the free version of the DivX5 thing.
I'd really rather not pay for it,
but if anyone knows of a reason or reasons why i should go ahead and purchase something better than the free version, please fill me in a little.
Most of you probably know that i know very little about computers these days, and i really don't have time to be learning right now.

already this board has been more helpful to me than anything else, as far as figuring out technical stuff, so THANK YOU!

and let me ask the moderators,
are these threads of mine, about technical stuff, considered too far off topic for me to keep posting here.
If it helps, i want the codec to watch quicksand clips, so it kind of is on-topic.
let me know please.
AngelusDaemonicus
Superior Master Artifex II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: DivX Thing Zoom Reply with quote

The only reason you'd want to purchase a full version is if you were encoding films to DivX from another format.
Trial or limited versions have no limitations as far as watching films encoded with the codec.
In any case,as far as downloading this codec or any others...You're better off doing a GOOGLE search for the "K-Lite Codec Pack."It contains the latest and fully operational codecs as well as loads of extras.It's saved me many head-aches over the years and new versions are readily available.

In fact,let me make life easier...here's the link.

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Take either the "Mega" or "Full" versions.
I regularly update mine.
Hope this helps.
neveragain
Superior Master Artifex IV
Fatalist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

I already downloaded it from the DivX site,
do you still think i should bother with that link?
Downunder
Advanced Craftsman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Replacement codec Zoom Reply with quote

I am thinking of dumping the DivX I purchased, for it is not compatable with the Adobe Premier I got to do my animations. The two companies are pointing the finger at each other, saying "their problem".

There is another free codex that is marketed as a replacement for DivX, but I am away from my office at the moment, so I will post the name later after I get home from work.

Just read the notice about http://www.quicksandmovies.net/
It is Xvid and the link is at http://www.quicksandmovies.net/
for both DivX and Xvid
Celtic
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: well lets see Zoom Reply with quote

You don't really need DivX to run DivX movies. All you need are the codecs, being the type of person to download alot of anime I know that if you download this codec pack you can virtually run every movie you got on WMP except for RM and quicktime formats of course.
DivX is okay, but if your the type "not a internet pirate" the free codec pack will install all the codecs including the DivX one so that windows media can view it properly. DivX after all is just a video program like any other with its own special codec, so I believe it should work.

Oh and heres the link, give it a try.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec_Pack_All_in_1.htm
Jumpoff_Joe
Superior Master Hero
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Having a Heck of a T Zoom Reply with quote

Acidtester wrote:
I already downloaded it from the DivX site,
do you still think i should bother with that link?

Question

I have a Mac and have been unable to run anything downloaded from Dave's clip site. Acidtester, what you have done to make these files work for you?

Jumpoff Joe
Jiminy Thicket
Inventor
Victim
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

Just for the record, I once heard that some of those "all in one" codec packs could really do a number on your system because they loaded some "pirate" and "hacked" (as in modifed, not as in ev1l h@xors) codecs which have never undergone anything approximating QA, and I had a bad experience with one.

It's hardly an area I know much about, and that was quite some time ago, but if you have the time, it never hurts to track down the individual codecs you need.
Jumpoff_Joe
Superior Master Hero
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: VLC Controller Zoom Reply with quote

Is this the one you mention, or one of the ones you mention, Jiminy? I am using it now, it plays all the files that I have downloaded previously "just great." Now, I need to figure out how to burn all the files to a DVD for safekeeping...

Jumpoff Joe
Jiminy Thicket
Inventor
Victim
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VLC Controller Zoom Reply with quote

Jumpoff_Joe wrote:
Is this the one you mention, or one of the ones you mention, Jiminy?

No, the ones I meant are for Windows. From I what I hear here, the Mac VLC program is tip top.
Crypto
Rescuer
Researcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Having a Heck of Zoom Reply with quote

"I have a Mac and have been unable to run anything downloaded from Dave's clip site. Acidtester, what you have done to make these files work for you?"

The codec for the Xvid AVI files that Dave is now using is not yet available for QuickTime on Mac OS X. The version that is there for the Mac (v0.1) does not support this version (v1.0.3) of the AVI, even though you have DivX 5.2.1 and the XVIDDelegate.component v1.3 from 2003.

However, the VLC video player does work for this format (and many others, including .WMV formats played by Windows Media Player v9.0 for Mac OS X). It can be downloaded at...

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

...and at...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

"You cannot know a man until you know his lost Atlantis and his Utopia for which he still hopes to set sail."
Jumpoff_Joe
Superior Master Hero
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Thanks Guys! Zoom Reply with quote

The VLC I gots, and it works greats!

Jumpoff Joe

Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: