Whitespace Deep Sinking
The Quicksand Channel

Home Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister 
  View Profile Public Profile     Edit Profile Edit Profile     Log inLog in 

Quicksand model kit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Saturday Afternoon -> Quicksand model kit Subscribe Topic RSS View New Favorites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PM2K
Archmaster Rescuer
Adept Artisan

: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Quicksand model kit Zoom Reply with quote

Anyone actually get this? It does look cool!
Duncan Edwards
Master Artifex
Expert Watcher
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

That one goes way, way, back. I remember being about ten and seeing it on the model shelf at "Big K". Thought it was cool but remember wishing it was with living people. Cool

It's a dirty job but somebody gets to do it.
Fred588
High Master Craftsman V
High Master Researcher V
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

You must have seen something similar, you are older than that.

Duncan Edwards wrote:
That one goes way, way, back. I remember being about ten and seeing it on the model shelf at "Big K". Thought it was cool but remember wishing it was with living people. Cool

rgadt
Master Researcher II
Master Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

I remember this from wayback too, don't think it was by MPC at that time either. Thought it was pretty cool, myself (though I hadn't really discovered my attraction to qs at that time).
kaolumbia
Superior Master Craftsman II
Master Superhero II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

PM2K wrote:
Anyone actually get this? It does look cool!

Yeah, I had it as a kid. I couldn't get it to work well though. I was too ADD to have the patience to put models together well. Wish I had it now.

Fred588
High Master Craftsman V
High Master Researcher V
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

Apparently there were several versions of this game. See:

http://www.tylisaari.com/models/disney/disney.htm

Myrddyndewyn
Master Craftsman V
Wanderer
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

Idea As I recall ,the original kit was by a model company called "Aurora"...They did some cave girl and Vampirilla models too...many of which I still have, converted to some rather nice 130 mm nude lady models. I never got the quicksand one as I wanted real people (women) too...oh well...
......Happy modeling , Merlyn.../|\ Wink

Ain't it funny how the night moves.
....With Autumn closin' in."
EVysther
Master Wanderer IV
Master Scout II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

Hey Myrddyndewyn - thanks for turning on the WayBack Machine for me!

I have most of the original Aurora Universal Monsters set - STILL! I was lucky to find a lot of recasts in the '90s, the originals are way too pricey! - but this one in question is from MPC...and unfortunately, I don't have it...

...and getting it to work - as Kaol pointed out - was a pain!

The instructions were pretty vague - from what I remember - the action was based on a rubber band - and it had a bad tendency to snap...talk about a heartbroken kid! Confused - but these came out a the tail end of the mid-70s monster craze and I am just old enough to remember it...LOL...around the time the original Star Wars hit - so we're talking '75 to '77, in that neighborhood, and, bruther, did I have the goodies back then!

Stuff for fans of the Universal Monsters - or any kind of monster, for that matter! - is kind of sparse these days...at least, anything that catches my eyes...you just don't see neat stuff like this anymore...

Slick find there, PM2K!
Thanks for putting a smile on my face...
Cool

"Madness...as you well know...is like gravity...it just needs a little push!"

"The bravery of idiots is bravery nonetheless!"

"Great health to you and may your enemies contract painful bowel diseases!"
Danger_Girl
Master Craftsman V
Master Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

My brother had that. Wouldn't be surprised if he still does. It was rubberband powered, and I remember it not working all that well. It was certainly cool, though.
jma00a1
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

I remember going to Disney World as a kid and seeing it....I really wanted it but never had the nerve to ask my parents for the money to buy it. I was thinking other thoughts about the quicksand, whereas now looking back, they would have thought only innocent thoughts Smile and never would have made the connection.
Lomax
Superior Master Craftsman V

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

I can tell you from actual experience that this was on sale in the UK 35 years ago. I remember staring at it in the shop for ages (I was a keen modeller back then - anyone else remember Airfix?).

I didn't buy it. This was back in the days when my fascination with QS was linked with a severe phobia.

Myrddyndewyn
Master Craftsman V
Wanderer
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

Lomax wrote:
I can tell you from actual experience that this was on sale in the UK 35 years ago. I remember staring at it in the shop for ages (I was a keen modeller back then - anyone else remember Airfix?).

I didn't buy it. This was back in the days when my fascination with QS was linked with a severe phobia.

Shocked AIRFIX !...Good Lord , Airfix and I go back to 1960 ; currently working on HMS HOOD the great battlecruiser...old kit but still good. Detailing Her...
....Onward modelers , Merlyn.../|\

..Post scriptum,,,Airfix are still around ,you know.

Ain't it funny how the night moves.
....With Autumn closin' in."
QX&3D
Master Artisan
Master Innovator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

That is an old Disney Pirates of the Carribean (pre-movie) model kit made around 1972 by MPC model co. It featured "Zap Action" when you built it up the modeler would place rubber bands inserted inside the skeletons. That one would have the victim's arm bust off when the other Skelton tried to pull him out. It also had a giant crab trying to eat him - as if quicksand wasnt enough! I sitll have my old "Ghost fo the Treasure Guard" built-up kit from way back and I had this quicksand kit as well as all the others. I sure wish I STILL had them... You see, If you find this kit still in the box today it's worth about $175.00~! Other can fetch up to $400 from that series

Last edited by QX&3D on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordMuck
Deep_Sinker

Location: Somewhere forward of INS 'McArthur's' port torpedo room, brewing poteen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Quicksand model Zoom Reply with quote

Danger_Girl wrote:
My brother had that. Wouldn't be surprised if he still does. It was rubberband powered, and I remember it not working all that well. It was certainly cool, though.

That sounds like me...
'LM- Rubber-powered, alopecic and doesn't work- Buy him today!'

Myrddyndewyn wrote:
As I recall ,the original kit was by a model company called "Aurora"...

Aha! Beat me to it- 'When there's a piece of elderly styrene you can't identify, say Aurora and hope for the best.' Being serious, well spotted- I'd never laid eyes on this, and I'm kinda glad; it would have raised the sweat of exasperation on my youthful brow.

Lomax wrote:

Indeed, and all too well; so much so that I've returned to the hobby recently (on the grounds that it's cheaper than golf and less likely to make me psychotic) albeit with more wisdom, less patience and zero urogential contol . Although that might be the Airfix Freema Agyeman.

(LordMuck is 94, and so geekoid he can tell you which version of AMT's INSS McArthur- Sorry, 'Leif Ericson' was the original and which is the dodgy glow-in-the-dark issue. But he's still a geek.)

"I do get paid to get dirty but mostly I do it for the spaghetti."
-Puss
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Saturday Afternoon All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: