Whitespace Deep Sinking Logo Deep Sinking
The Quicksand Channel

Home Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist     RegisterRegister 
  View Profile Public Profile     Edit Profile Edit Profile     Log inLog in 

Re: "Quicksand Girl" Raw footage

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show -> Re: "Quicksand Girl" Raw footage Subscribe Topic RSS View New Favorites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MudMoon
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Quicksand Zoom Reply with quote

Probably should have written this post first before announcing it's existence prematurely (Doh!)

Here is my question: How on earth - or should that be 'in earth' - did you manage to cram a 4'50" clip of that quality into a 2.74mb file? My absurd, ill-fated Zipper movie lasted only 6 seconds and yet somehow took up a whopping 6.12mb! I know some formats are more 'expensive' than others but this seems crazy. I used .avi, btw

MM
Jiminy Thicket
Inventor
Victim
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

It matters what codec you use when encoding the video, the size, and the frame rate. "AVI" doesn't actually mean anything by itself. It's just a packaging format, like a cardboard box around the actual video.

I haven't seen the 2.7meg 5 min video you're referring to, but that does seem like a bit of a stretch for that to be high quality unless it's the size of a postage stamp, the frame rate of a slide show, or nothing moves.

The best codecs I'm aware of are the Sorenson 3 codec (for Quicktime) and the MPEG-4 variants (Xvid/Divx, Microsoft WMV9).

Lots of animation programs use lousy codecs by default like Indeo or Cinepak, or worse, no compression at all.
MudMoon
Deep_Sinker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

The animation file was 'shot' in ultra-basic 640 x 480 resolution with no anti-aliasing or texture maps.

I hadn't considered the codec but the name Cinepak does sound familiar so that must be what LightWave 3D uses. I can't comment on the compression quality because I never bother configuring the Cinepak window when prompted, but I'm more than happy to take your word for it.

Thanks for the info'

MM
Loch Ness
Superior Master Craftsman
Master Explorer IV
Deep_Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Quicksand Zoom Reply with quote

MudMoon wrote:
Probably should have written this post first before announcing it's existence prematurely (Doh!)

Here is my question: How on earth - or should that be 'in earth' - did you manage to cram a 4'50" clip of that quality into a 2.74mb file? My absurd, ill-fated Zipper movie lasted only 6 seconds and yet somehow took up a whopping 6.12mb! I know some formats are more 'expensive' than others but this seems crazy. I used .avi, btw

MM

OH, NO!!! I'm not sure why this works good and Zipper doesn't!

I've had this computer for only a couple weeks. Ironically, I ran out and bought it over...yeah...muddy clips...simple mpgs...and the guy who sent 'em tried hard to make them easy for an old computer, but no go...and I blew a gasket.

I walked into the store and just said, "I want the coolest one you got."

"The Coolest" (530J Pentium 4, 1.0 GB memory, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD+RW, CD-ROM) came already loaded with Microsoft Movie Maker, Version 5.1.

I got the clip off the original DVD and put it in MovieMaker. I trimmed the beginning and ends off (which was all I could figure out how to do.)

Then, I told it to "finish movie"...

It asked me where to save it...I chose a folder...

There were three things to click. They went:

"Best quality for playback on my computer (recommended)"...but that gave me a 20MB file! (No, not for the forum.)

"Best to fit file size" (choose file size). I tried 1MB but I turned out microscopic in my own clip.

The third was "other settings", gave me a lot of stuff that I didn't know what it was. I tried "High Quality Video - Small"...I think that's the clip that's up. You can see it's somewhat compressed, but it isn't too bad.

"Best To Fit File Size" is probably the best thing to play with. It'll try give you the best quality within about the size you say.

Nessie
Boppinabe
Superior Master Rescuer
Master Craftsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

I'm not too sure about all the sizing issues with this clip, but I got it to run just fine on my MediaPlayer on full-screen very with little deterioration of picture quality, AND it also runs just fine on RealPlayer, if not a teeny bit better in the "Full Screen Theater" setting. RealPlayer also allows for searching through the clip, which on MP I haven't figured out yet. I particularly like "QuickTime" because you can run the clips backwards. Nothing funnier than watching someone UNsink in quicksand, or fall up a flight of stairs.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Deep Sinking -> Technology Talk Show All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: