This is a much smaller update designed to address a few more long-standing bugs.
On of the changes from 0.2.14 might have helped the issue of sending someone a tell message and seeing your name represented as "null." However, I have no real way to confirm this. So, if you see the "null" bug happen, please send me a report about it so I can put it back on the list. That bug makes me nuts! (Which, coincedentally, is what a lot of people say about me.)
- Fixed the use of "then" in the party command so it won't be treated as an action separater anymore.
- Fixed an error that occasionally produced an "[acc:x]" message when drinks were consumed or thrown in the trash.
- Fixed a bug where people were reported as being "hair-deep" in quicksand even if they were completely under.
- Added a feature that will be used in a future update.
This was a major infrastructure update. Some things that were preventing the further growth of Sinking Island have been restructured and certain features have been made more flexible. This required big changes deep in the core of the R/T code. While the result fixed some long-standing bugs, it has no doubt introduced others. Please let me know if you find them.
- Lifted some parser limitations on handling multiple objects.
- Restructured the way actions are performed.
- Added some internal synchronization so the results of your actions won't (shouldn't) appear before you're finished performing them.
- Repaired the Red Cabana's door lock.
- It is no longer possible to log out while inside the Red Cabana. (You will be moved back to the beach.)
- Fixed a bug where the headset could be stolen from Psychic World South if you were carrying it and someone else dragged you away.
- A long-standing bug where you could not drink a beverage (or do something else with an item you're holding) if there was an identical item sitting on the ground has finally been fixed. (This bug originally reported by Fred588.)
- Fixed the ability to drag people south. (Reported by Hitomi for 0.2.14a.)
That should be it for now. I promise I'll add some more interesting stuff sometime soon.
Continuing the breakneck one-a-month pace of updates, here's one now.
This update includes two new profile features and a couple of new commands.
First, an option to indicate the level of interactivity you want in R/T.
The lowest level is off, which will completely disable your ability to use or be affected by most commands that affect other people. This will turn R/T primarily into a chat client without role-playing features, for people who aren't interested in that sort of thing.
The low option adds most harmless interaction commands, like the ability to give and receive objects.
The medium option is the default, and is equivalent to the level of interactivity before this change.
The high option (developed using the code name "Abuse Me") will allow a greater level of interactivity than that previously experienced.
Your selection will appear if someone examines you, ranging from "interested only in chat" (off) through "ready for anything" (high).
Two new commands, spank so-and-so and pull so-and-so (direction) have been added. These are available only if both people have the "high" option selected.
The second flag is a "gender type" setting. Some people have asked for a way to better clarify the difference between people who participate and post on the board who are actually one gender (let's not kid ourselves, we're by-and-large talking about women here) and people who role-play in R/T as a gender they may or may not actually be. Like the gender setting itself, this is completely optional. The four settings are:
biological - Indicates that the person participating on the board is actually the gender specified.
identify as - A setting for people whose biological gender may not accurately reflect the gender with which they mentally identified (e.g. transgendered persons).
role-play as - A setting for peope who wish to indicate that they are role-playing as a certain gender without making any definitive statement about their actual gender.
unspecified - The default setting, and the correct one for anyone who thinks this is a dumb experiment.
Your choice (if any) will be displayed in your profile.
Discussions among the moderators suggest that since this feature is wholly dependent on the honesty of the people involved, and the trust this community can place in itself, there may be negative consequences for getting caught falsely selecting "identify as" or "biological."
When people role-play, they need to make informed decisions. If someone has selected "role-playing as" then they have indicated that they do not wish to express their actual gender. Consequently it is inappropriate to ask and one should make one's decisions based on whatever the "worst case scenario" is; it is on you to make sure you're comfortable.
If you are "unspecified" then the shoe is on the other foot, it is your responsibility to understand and respect the preferences of the people you role-play with. If they would not be comfortable if they knew "the truth" then it is your job to protect their feelings.
Finally, some stuff has been reorganized to make it possible to add exciting new ways to restrain people in future updates.
A small text bug was also fixed.
This is a very minor update (mostly to show I haven't forgotten how).
- Descriptions at the Cabana Beach and The Dungeon have been enhanced thanks to very helpful suggestions from Laeilee.
- A missing article bug was fixed when slapping objects. (Reported by DJlurker.)
More stuff is coming, I promise. I've just been otherwise occupied lately, but I have a lot of good stuff (and not all for R/T) waiting in the wings for some free time to finish it.
An equally minor update.
- Fixed the way the stocks are described to people inside them.
- Added a bright red message when you log in if you left /tell disabled the last time you were on.
Another minor update.
- The "Report" button now gives people more room to explain what they're reporting.
- A couple of pronoun errors when the PWS card reader rejects a card have been fixed. (Reported by Zebrafan.)
- When using the shout command, the colors came out backwards. (Demonstrated by Minako.)
- Added code to turn a couple of "silent" problems into loud ones so maybe we can get them fixed.
- Fixed the pillory stock to limit what actions can be performed while trapped inside. (Reported by Mynock_90 and Mudkitten.)
0.2.10d IFB (March 6, 2006)
- Emotes now put your name in color.
- You can now use your own name (or, for shorthand [me]) in an emote and it will not be automatically added at the beginning. (Suggested by Chimerix)
- The word "then" can now be used in emotes.
- URLs containing the # character will now be recognized correctly.
Example of the enhanced emote feature:
You type: /me This is an emote by [me].
You see: This is an emote by Your Name.
Others see: This is an emote by Your Name.
0.2.10 IFBThis was a large update from an infrastructure perspective, but almost invisible in terms of visible effects.
- The number of people logged in has been added to the list command, and the names on the list are now in alphabetical order.
- Added the wake up command.
- A small amount of additional content has been added.
This is a bug-fix update.
These bugs have been fixed:
- "Do" mode does not work properly in Safari. (Reported by Chimerix)
- If enough people pile into R/T, it starts lagging badly.
- An [acc:x] was reported in conjunction with drinking. (Reported by Chimerix) (I'm claiming this is lag-related.)
- People in quicksand weren't showing up on the list of people who weren't (and vice versa) (Reported by Mudkitten) (0.2.8a)
- Removing people from the stocks had the side effect of picking them up. (Reported by JamesDigriz) (0.2.8b)
This is a minor update.
- The ability to have "hidden" exits that don't show up on the "Go To" list. (Not saying that this feature is in use, merely that it exists.)
- Certain other features that are not currently applicable.
- The red cabana now has a door. If someone is inside and the door is closed, it will not open from the outside.
- save and push ... deeper now work properly on yourself. (Reported by h8ms2001)
- The Redo button now returns focus to the input box.
- If you enter a location from one direction and someone else entered the same room from another direction, under certain circumstances, you might not have seen each other's actions during a period of several seconds.
- If you use popup tells (not recommended), your tell text would be echoed in the client as "> xtell so-and-so blah blah blah" in addition to appearing in the tell window.
- "then" and ";" will no longer be regarded as command separaters if the first command on a line is say, tell, or party.
This is primarily a bug-fix release.
- Drinking alcohol may now have consequences.
- The list command has been made a little prettier.
- Drinks placed in the trashcan will now be cleaned up periodically.
- Drinks that have been consumed will be removed from the database to save space.
- When people logged in at your location, sometimes the sidebar didn't update to show them.
- BBcode in party chat did not work.
- The previous fix for people logging out and then being logged back in actually made the problem worse. It's now been re-fixed.
- If a lot of people were in a room, the sidebar would flop down on top of the input box.
- A [tdat] bug involving getting out of things was fixed. (Reported by Jumpoff_Joe.)
- A problem with the parser caused it to get confused if you put extra spaces at the end of your command. (Reported by Jumpoff_Joe.)
- The say command was being redundantly echoed.
0.2.2 IFB (Dec 14, 2005)
- "Party Mode" - part plain old party, part party line, part party of explorers, this is a new way to group up and chat that should decrease the hassle of having private conversations. It may also have additional benefits in the future. Associated commands: invite, join, party, noparty, roster, appoint, and eject.
- The ability to open & close items. (Note: there are presently no accessible items with this property. It's just one step on the way to locking doors.)
- A forums command has been added that will list all the forums and link to them in a separate window so you can read/post without losing your place.
- The client-side portion of R/T has been almost completely rewritten.
- The appearance of inline tell messages has been dramatically improved (in my opinion).
- Descriptions of the moor bulked up. (Thanks to Jimbomite for contributed ideas.)
- A bug where you could log out and then a split second see an event which would silently log you back in (thus confusing the people you left behind) has been fixed.
- A bug related to dropping intrinsic items when you log out has been fixed. (It is no longer possible to bogart the robe by killing your client.)
- Showers will now "bask" less frequently (at random intervals). (Reported by Mudkitten.)
- A minor change has been made to scope resolution (what you can see and touch) to fix a few edge cases involving closed objects.
- Added home, go home, and go to cantina commands.
- Tweak the effect of sinking/rescuing somebody to be more reasonable and less tedious / repetitive (probably not finished in this area, but it should help a little)
- Add the ability to adopt "poses" that replace the stock "So-and-so is here" message. (Suggested by Billie Bonce.)
- Some area descriptions enhanced (thanks to Pam & Robert for suggestions!)
- A Redo button that will recall your last command into the edit box so you can change, fix or repeat it.
- The text entry is now a two-line box with scrollbars. (Suggested by Fred588)
- For the winter months, hot cocoa has been added to the cantina.
- Customizable description of physical appearance in R/T and in your board profile (managed via the "Edit Profile" link at the top of the page)
- Sometimes the Internet Explorer scroll bar overlaps text. (This is a bug in Internet Explorer, not R/T. Long live Firefox & Opera! Reported by Fred588 and h8ms2001.)
|Deep Sinking||Sinking Island|